Thursday, January 12, 2012

Home-From-College Chili

Deep flavor. Medium heat. Thick & meaty.

That's how we like our chili. Not too sweet, not too heavy on the tomatoes. Lots of beans.

My dad and I make this chili every time I come home from school. We tweak it a little more each time, but I think we've finally found the perfect combination.

Chili recipes are notoriously secret, and as such I cannot tell you exactly how we bring this to life. However, I will give you my list of ingredients and you can play around with it yourself. One flavor tip: add the lime juice just before eating. One cooking tip: set the chili over a low simmer for an hour or two for to thicken and for the flavors to come together.

Happy tailgating!




3 lbs ground turkey
4 T chili powder
¼ T cayenne pepper
(or 4 guajillo chilis and 2 arbol instead of chili powder and cayenne pepper)
1 large onion
2 jalapeno peppers
3 T corn meal
½ c chicken broth
1 bottle of beer - not too mellow
1 1/2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp oregano
Garlic and onion powder, shake til good
¼ tsp salt
1 can kidney beans
1 can Bush’s chili beans
4 medium garlic cloves
1 (28 oz) can tomato puree
2 tsp molasses
1 lime

No comments:

Post a Comment