Monday, May 16, 2011

Sage and Barley Soup

Grandma Flo is in town! She came down from New Jersey for my graduation. We really never know when she's going to pop in - she just kind of appears - so when I answered the doorbell today I shouldn't have been too surprised to see her.

Okay, what can I make quickly that will fill everyone up? Soup! No-brainer.

Sage is a flavor I've never used before, and after tonight I want to use it all the time. It's so earthy and gave the soup that "mmm" factor. Don't try to substitute another herb. And usually barley is paired with spinach, but I used kale because I found this reallyyy pretty type with bright red veins. Well when it wilted into the soup the color didn't quite stay, but the flavor worked perfectly. Grandma even asked for seconds. Win for me!


Excuse the unattractive picture, blackberries don't have a soup-picture-taking setting yet.

Sage and Barley Soup:
* 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 large yellow onion, chopped
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 5 large sage leaves, chopped
* 1/2 c pearl barley
* 14 oz can organic garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
* 14 oz can organic diced tomatoes
* 8 c red kale washed and chopped (or spinach)
* 6-8 c homemade vegetable stock
* fine-grain sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* garnish with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment